Hey Welcome to my Blog! Take a look around and I hope you enjoy! Also I would love it if you Followed me!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Book Review: Bad Girls Don't Die

By: Katie Alender
Pages: 346
Published In: 2009

Summary: 
Alexis thought she led a typically dysfunctional high school experience. Dysfunctional like like her parents' marriage: her doll-crazy thirteen-year-old sister, Kasey; and even her own anti-social, anti-cheerleader attitude.
When a family fight results in some tearful sister bonding, Alexis realizes her life is creeping from Dysfunctional to danger. Kasey is acting stranger than ever: her blue eyes go green sometimes; she uses old-fashioned language; and she even looses track of chunks of time, claiming to know nothing of her strange behaviour. Their house is changing, too. Doors open and close by themselves, water boils on an unlit stove, and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath.
Alexis wants to think it's all in her head, but soon, what she liked to think of as silly parlour tricks are becoming life-threatening -- to her, to her family, and to her budding relationtionshipwith the class vice president. Alexis knows she is the only person who can stop Kasey -- but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?

Rating: 4

Review:
I got this book from my friend as a gift about two years ago because it was one of her favourites.

The Writing Style: The whole book is from Alexis' point of view. The writing style was good but it could have been better with a larger vocabulary. I think it is written this way because it was meant for younger middle-school kids. I did enjoy it even if it was meant for younger kids, it was possibly because it is nice to read a really simple book once in while that is still good but you don't have to think about as much to give your brain a break.

The Storyline: I thought the storyline was creative and well put together. It was simple yet the storyline had a lot of depth because you get the history of not only the doll but the house and a bit of the neighbourhood and the all tie together quite nicely. I thought it was just a tad creepy at times because I was reading at night and I get freaked out easy even if this book really isn't scary, oh well.

The Girls: The three main girls are Alexis (obviously), Kasey and Megan. Alexis is the main character and is a rule breaker. She has pink hair, skips class and is kinda anti-social (in the beginning). As the book progresses you get to learn more about why she does some of things she does. Kasey is Alexis doll-crazy younger sister. I thought she was completely weird and insane, but she is possessed and can't control it but she kept trying to blame Alexis on things she did. Megan is the cheerleader and is the girl Alexis hated the most at the beginning of the book. I just find it interesting that the person she hates has such a big role in a book like this.

The Boys: There is really only one guy in this book Carter. His background is really interesting and it is so sad at the same time. I like who he is important to the story but love doesn't dominate this book at all and it is totally just a background story, there are a number of chapters he is not even mentioned. Part of me wanted him to be in more of the chapters, but  I liked the break from a book that is predominately about some sort of love.

Other Stuff: I gave this book a 4 out of 5 because it didn't make my favourites list but it is still very good. There are two more books in this series but this book had an epilogue and what I consider and awesomely perfect ending. Personally it seems like the author first wanted it to be just one book but then discovered it was kinda popular so she must have written two more. If this is the reason there are two more book I think it is a stupid reason. I don't want anything to change with characters and I want to leave it at the epilogue since it was perfect, I won't even read the next two books. Personally I do recommend this book if you want an easy simple read that can go fast (I finished it in four days).

Everyone have a good weekend!
-Jane

3 comments:

  1. Hi I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! I learn more visit my blog http://livingforthebooks.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this book sounds pretty creepy but in a good way, as you've described. It sounds, actually, pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get scared pretty easily so I wouldn't read it at night but it was really interesting!
      -Jane

      Delete